Teeth can take on a twisted (or crooked) appearance for several reasons. For some, the total size of all of their teeth may be too large for the full arc of the gums. This results in overcrowding and the teeth shift in ways that twist them. Another common cause is a difference between the size of the upper and lower jaw—resulting in an over or underbite. Other situations contributing to twisted teeth include:
- Child oral habits such as elongated bottle usage, thumb sucking, and tongue thrusting
- Early loss of baby which prevents adult teeth from being guided into place
- Oral tumor within the jaw or gum line
- Dental restorations that are placed improperly
- Traumatic injury which misaligns the jaw
- Gum disease
If you or your child have twisted teeth due to any of the above reasons, Yuba City Orthodontics has viable solutions available. We continually serve Yuba City and surrounding communities.
Why You Should Have Twisted Teeth Treated
Although twisted teeth do not present a critical health threat, they can negatively impact your oral health. In fact, twisted teeth are often responsible for:
- Improper or uncomfortable chewing
- Greater difficulties in cleaning teeth which increases the risk of cavities periodontal (gum) disease, and decay
- Strained jaw muscles, ligaments, and soft tissues
- Jawbones growing improperly
- Speech impairments
In addition to the above reasons, treating twisted teeth improves your smile and will undoubtedly increase one’s confidence.
Treatments for Twisted Teeth
After we perform a detailed examination to ascertain the cause of your twisted teeth, Dr. Michael Larson will create a proper treatment plan. There are several ways to approach twisted teeth, but we will select the ones that best fit your oral health condition, lifestyle, and budget. Of course, if you have questions or concern, we will gladly answer them when we explain the proposed treatment strategy.
1215 Plumas Street, Suite 500
Yuba City, CA 95991